City of Winter Springs and Seminole County Business Tax Receipt Frequently Asked Questions:

Who must pay the Business Tax?

  • Any person or business entity operating a business located in Winter Springs.
  • Anyone who provides merchandise or services to the public, even if only a one-person company or home-based business.

Do I need to go to Seminole County for a County Business Tax Receipt?

  • No, the City of Winter Springs has a partnership with Seminole County that allows Winter Springs to issue both your Seminole County and your City of Winter Springs Business Tax Receipt.

Where can I get a Business Tax Receipt Application?

  • Applications for Business Tax Receipts can be found by clicking here.
  • You can also get a Business Tax Receipt Application at Winter Springs City Hall (1126 E State Road 434, Winter Springs, FL).

Who is exempt from the Business Tax?
Sections 205.162, 205.171, and 205.192, Florida Statutes provide certain exemptions from the Business Tax Receipt cost, such as:

  • Charitable, religious, fraternal, youth, civic, service or other such organizations, when the organization makes occasional sales or engages in fundraising projects, are generally exempt. Certain restrictions apply.
  • Residents of Seminole County who are permanently disabled, physically incapable of manual labor, widows or widowers with minor dependents and persons sixty-five(65) years of age or older - With not more than one employee or helper, and who use only their own capital, not in excess of $1,000.
  • Permanent Florida resident, or their un-remarried widow or widower, who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified periods, was honorably discharged, and is disabled , from performing manual labor shall be entitled to an exemption of up to $50 on any Business Tax Receipt. Certain other restrictions apply.

How do I obtain zoning approval?
It is the responsibility of all businesses located in the city of Winter Springs to receive zoning approval prior to conducting business. To check zoning requirements for your location you may call Brian Fields at 407-327-7597 or e-mail him at

What if I buy an existing business?
If you purchase an existing business, you will need to:

  • Surrender the previous owner's current Business Tax Receipt.
  • Complete an application and pay the transfer fee of $3.00.

A corrected Business Tax Receipt must be issued. [If your occupation is regulated by the Department of Professional Regulations, State of Florida, or any other regulatory boards, you must present a corrected copy of the certification or registration, showing the changes before the Business Tax Receipt may be transferred.]

What if I change locations?

  • If you move out of the city - please notify the City of Winter Springs so that we can deactivate your account.
  • If you move within the city - you must transfer your Business Tax Receipt to the new business address.

What if I have multiple locations in Winter Springs?
Businesses with multiple locations in Winter Springs are required to have a Business Tax Receipt for each location.

What if I don't pay before October 1?
Florida Statutes provide that a late renewal must include a penalty of 10% for the month of October, plus an additional 5% penalty for each month of delinquency thereafter until paid, not to exceed 25% of the Business Tax. If you conduct business without a Business Tax Receipt, you will be subject to a penalty of 25% of the tax due plus additional penalties. In addition, operating without a Business Tax Receipt is a misdemeanor punishable by a $250 fine if not in compliance within 150 days of notice of the amount due.

What if I go out of business?
Notify the City of Winter Springs in writing, and provide the Business Tax Receipt so that your account will be deactivated.

Where can I renew my Business Tax Receipt

  • By Mail - Please return the renewal notice in the enclosed, pre-addressed envelope. Include your check or money order, in U.S. funds only, made payable to: City of Winter Springs, for the amount due. If you send one payment for multiple accounts, please provide all of the renewal notices.
  • In Person - You may pay at Winter Springs City Hall (1126 E State Road 434, Winter Springs, FL).

Where should I display the Business Tax Receipt?
The Receipt must be displayed conspicuously at the place of business, visible to the public, and to a Field Compliance Officer.

When is a Business Tax Receipt required?
The Business Tax Receipt is required before a business begins operation.

When does the County Business Tax Receipt expire?
Annually, on September 30.

When is a "Fictitious Name" filing required?

  • If you are using anything other than the owner's first name and last name, that is considered a Fictitious Name. You will need to register with the Office of the Florida Secretary of State (1-850-245-6058 or Corporations can be registered at this site as well.

How do I obtain a Sales Tax Number and/or a FEIN?

  • For a Sales Tax ID, contact the Florida Department of Revenue at 407-475-1200 or 800-352-3671.
  • For an FEID Number, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 or for forms call 800-829-3676.

How long does it take to get a Business Tax Receipt?
Business Tax Receipts are issued upon receipt of payment providing all required documents have been received. In some cases, the application may require additional review time which may result in a 24-48 hour processing time.

How do I renew the Business Tax Receipt?There are several convenient ways to renew your Business Tax Receipt:

  • By Mail - Please return the renewal notice and include your check or money order, in U.S. funds only, made payable to: City of Winter Springs, for the amount due.
  • In Person - You may pay at 1126 E SR 434, Winter Springs, FL.

How do I know whether my business is 'regulated' or 'non-regulated'?
"Regulated" businesses are defined as those requiring state licensing, regulation, certification or registration. Regulated businesses will be required to show proof of all required regulatory licenses prior to being issued a City/County Business Tax Receipt.

What if I have questions about my Business Tax Receipt?
If you have questions about obtaining your Business Tax Receipt or about any of the documents required to obtain your Business Tax Receipt you may contact Michael Saylor , Assistant Utility Billing Manager, by e-mail at or at 407-327-8961.